Tea is a powerfully healthy beverage that can taste great hot, iced, and even in lattes. Many people, including former arbitrage trader Helen Lee Schifter, praise tea for its soothing effects and health benefits. There is no doubt that tea is great to drink, but how often should you drink it and what are the specific benefits?
5 Health Benefits of Drinking Tea Regularly
1. Tea provides antioxidants. When you drink tea, you ingest antioxidants that help with fighting off dangerous free radicals in the body. Free radicals can come from smoking, drinking, eating unhealthy foods, or being around chemicals. By drinking tea, you are allowing your body to fight these dangerous elements at a faster rate. Antioxidants are also known to prevent cancer, heart disease, improve fat loss, and improve brain function.
2. Tea helps to burn fat. Drinking tea is a great way to burn fat, especially drinking green tea. If you look at any fat burning supplement, the chances are that you will see green tea on the ingredient list is high. Many types of tea aid in boosting the metabolism, burning fat, and helping people to lose weight.
3. Tea helps to protect the brain. Did you know that if you drank a cup of tea every day that you could be protecting yourself from cognitive decline later in life? Drinking tea has shown to help protect the brain from diseases like dementia, Parkinson’s disease, and Alzheimer’s. This is because some components found in green tea have protective effects on brain neurons!
4. Tea helps to prevent diabetes. Another incredible benefit of drinking tea is its ability to prevent diabetes. A study of caffeine intake conducted showed a 42% decrease in the prevalence of type 2 diabetes in Japanese individuals after drinking green tea and coffee.
5. Tea may help promote longevity. One of the best benefits of drinking tea is that there is some evidence that it may help people live a longer life. Studies show that people who drink 3 or more cups of tea a day are likely to live longer. This may be a great reason to brew a hot cup of tea today!
How Often Should You Drink Tea?
Although tea is great for you to drink, there is such a thing as too much. One reason why you don’t want to sip tea throughout your entire day is because you should limit your caffeine intake. Many different types of teas have caffeine in them, especially black teas. Teas can have around 100 mg of caffeine per cup give or take, so this is one reason why you should limit your tea intake to around 3 to 4 cups a day. Too much caffeine could give someone anxiety, stress and restlessness, headaches, and even digestive issues. Another reason to limit your cups of tea to 3 or 4 a day is to still get a good night’s sleep. Caffeine interferes with sleep cycles, so it is not advised to drink too much especially right before bed.
With tea’s anti-aging properties, soothing effects, and its seemingly magical abilities to ward off disease and even cancer, there’s no wonder everyone likes tea! Drink a couple cups a day and you will be on your way to living a healthier and happier life!
To learn more about Helen Lee Schifter, visit her IdeaMensch profile.