A Guide to Managing a Family Size Home

If you are the parent of a young child and have just moved into your first home as a family, there is a lot to consider and building maintenance is certainly part and parcel of property ownership. Ask any seasoned homeowner and they will gladly confirm that building repairs and maintenance must be ongoing, and storing some emergency service numbers in your smartphone is recommended. If you need a 24-hour plumber in the middle of the night, you will be very glad you pre-sourced the number, so do spend a few hours searching with Google to find emergency trade services and save the numbers in your phone.

Roof Inspections

The roof is obviously a critical component of any building, as it protects the property from the harsh elements and you should have the roof inspected by a local company that offers roofing in Sydney, who would inspect every part of the roof, looking for missing tiles or other problems. If, for example, a tile was blown off the roof at a hard-to-see location, in the event this goes unnoticed, a lot of water could enter the internal roof structure, which would lead to extensive timber damage. While inspecting the roof, the contractor would clean out the guttering and present you with a detailed report of his findings and if the tradesman thinks the roof require repair, he would recommend that to you.

Trades That you Might Need

As a property owner, you might require any of the following services:

  • Plumber
  • Electrician
  • Locksmith
  • Carpenter
  • Roofing contractor
  • Drain clearing specialist
  • Tree Surgeon
  • TV & Internet engineer

If you can source all of the following local services that are open 24/7, then you are covered in the event of an emergency. This will save a lot of time in the event you have an emergency such as a burst water pipe or a blocked drain and make sure the company you choose does not have a call-out charge.

Checking for Dampness

If your home is quite old, you should have the house inspected by a damp-proof contractor and every now and then, inspect all of the upstairs and downstair ceilings, looking for damp patches. Wet and dry rot can easily take hold and with a local builder who gives your home an inspection, you will know if there are any issues. Click here for aspects to consider before renovating your home.


You are advised to call in a drain-cleaning specialist once a year and they have the equipment to power wash your drains, plus they have CCTV buggies that show the condition of the inner pipe surfaces and if there are any issues, they can be repaired at once. In the event you do experience a blocked drain, resist the temptation to unblock it yourself, as this very often only makes the blockage worse, rather you should call out a drain cleaning contractor who has all the equipment and can quickly pinpoint the location of the blockage.

If you carry out preventative maintenance and inspect the property on a regular basis, you will be able to call up any tradesperson to come and fix the problem.